Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lazy Weekend and Comfort Food

It's been raining here in Southeastern MA since yesterday morning. This weather always makes me want to stay in bed and do nothing, so for most of the weekend, that's what we did. After drinking too much Jack Daniels Friday night the BF and I were very tired come Saturday. We got into bed around 2 pm to watch a movie and pretty much stayed there until 9:00 am this morning. It was amazing, and exactly what we needed. Who wants to get out of bed and do anything when its cold, the rain is pouring and the wind is gusting so hard you're afraid that your 12 pound dog might blow away if you let her out because the wind is so strong? Not me. I try to watch what I eat because I am trying to lose weight, but this weekend that was out the window. For lunch yesterday the bf made us veggie burgers with tater tots covered in vegetarian chili and cheese and for dinner we had FBLT pita pockets (fake bacon, lettuce and tomato). I really wanted to get back on track today and although the hurricane strength winds died down, it was still raining, gloomy and cold. So what did we do? Had a big breakfast of scrambled eggs and home fries, lunch was a bottle of Gatorade and a bag of bugles while we were out running errands and dinner, a massive comfort food meal with Quorn Chick'n Cutlets, mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes loaded with Earth Balance and cream cheese, Balsamic Glazed Portobello Mushrooms from Vegan with a Vengeance, steamed broccoli and brussel sprouts. Had I left out the gravy and potatoes, it would have been a very healthy meal, but I needed to be comforted by food today.  When I make meals like that you'd think I was cooking for a small army, but its just the BF and I. I don't know why I always make so much extra, I'm not a big fan of leftovers. Anyways, dinner came out delicious, especially the gravy, just ask the BF, after dinner I looked into the kitchen and saw him drinking gravy from the ladle. I wish I got a picture of that one! I don't really use recipes for the potatoes or gravy  but I will post the general ingredient list, I always add or omit things depending on what I am cooking them with so here ya go:

Mashed Potatoes

4 medium sized red potatoes, skin on, cut in 1/4 inch cubes
Earth Balance - to taste
Cream Cheese - usually just a tablespoon or two to give them some extra creaminess
Light Cream, Soy Milk, or whatever you have on hand, today it was cream - 1/4 cup, more if needed
Garlic, raw or roasted - today I used roasted - this is also to taste, I usually use about 6 cloves because I'm a junkie
Salt & Pepper to taste
Rosemary - about a tablespoon

Put potatoes in pot, cover with water, add lid and bring to boil. 
Remove lid and lightly boil until fork tender, about 15 or so minutes
Drain
Mash lightly, add all ingredients,  mash and mix some more and taste. Adjust anything you need. 

Mushroom Gravy

2 tblspns Earth Balance
1 small onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 cup chopped mushrooms, any kind will do, I usually use baby bellas
3 cups veg broth
3 tablespoons cornstarch shaken into a slurry with a little water
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons nutritional yesast - optional, I don't always use it
Splash of red wine. 

In a small saucepan heat Earth Balance, add onion and saute about 5 minutes or until translucent but not browning. Add garlic, saute a minute or so more.
Lower heat, add mushrooms and cook a few minutes until they start releasing moisture. 
Add veg broth and cornstarch mix. Bring to a boil and cook about 5 minutes
Lower heat to lightly simmer, add soy sauce, nutritional yeast and wine. Cook about a minute more and serve. 

The Balsamic Glazed Portobellos were so simple but so delicious. They literally consisted of just portobello caps sliced, balsamic vinegar, a little salt and a little garlic. I have never been disappointed with any recipes I have tried from Vegan with a Vengeance . Now it's off to the gym to work it all off................



No comments:

Post a Comment