Friday, March 5, 2010

Frozen Tofu

You'd think that my first post would be about something spicy given the name of this blog....... Think again.


Let me start out by introducing myself. Hello, my name is Liz and I am a vegetarian. I love to cook. I love to eat.
Ok, enough of the formalities, let's talk food.

I cook with tofu semi-regularly but it's always fresh tofu. A few weeks ago, after another failed attempt at recreating fried tofu they way Thai restaurants make it, I decided I would try freezing it to change the texture... Fast forward to a few days ago when I took it out to thaw, with every intention of frying it. The days past and I changed my mind. When I left for work yesterday morning, I had dinner planned, Stuffed Shells with tofu ricotta, something I've made before and the bf and I both love. As they day dragged on I decided I wanted something a little more exciting. I started my daily ritual of creeping on various veg blogs looking for something to catch my eye when I stumbled upon The Vegan Foodie's recipe for Balsamic Glazed Tofu. I was sooooo excited, I couldn't wait to get home and cook.

I went home on my lunch break and got the tofu marinating. And a few short hours later, I was cooking it. It didn't turn out as amazing as I'd hoped, it was still good, just not great. I think the shortcomings in it were my fault though. I was rushing and really, I've never had much luck with cooking tofu other than tofu ricotta and tofu scramble. It came out kind of dry, and crunchy on the ends. What I did like though was how the thawed out tofu is so much more spongy and absorbent than fresh tofu.

The mustard glazed brussell sprouts I made with it did however come out amazing. Because I don't know where I got the recipe, and I modify it every time I will post it:

Mustard Glazed Brussell Sprouts

1 box of frozen or 1 bunch of fresh - brussell sprouts
1 tablespoon - spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoon - agave nectar
1 tablespoon - vinegar, i prefer balsamic or apple cider vinegar.

Mix all wet ingredients in small bowl, set aside.

Steam sprouts until cooked to your liking, remove from heat, add to mustard mix, toss and serve.

I did take photos but will have to post them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment