Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Barbecued Tempeh and Chipotle Glazed Plantains.

One of these nights I will remember to take pictures of the food while and after I cook it......

I've had some plantains ripening in my fruit basket for a week or so now. My original plans were to make tostones with them while they were still green, but those days had passed.. Now faced with yellow plantains, I had no idea what to do. Luckily i found a recipe online(I forget where so I can't link it) for Chipotle Glazed Plantains. I also had some tempeh sitting in the fridge that I normally reserve for my bi-weekly "clean out the fridge sitr-fry" but to be honest, I am stir-fried out. If I never see another stir-fry I will be the happiest girl in the world. It doesn't take much to make me happy.. The only way I have ever cooked it was cut up in cubes in those stir-fries, so when I found a recipe for Barbecue Tempeh that boiled it, fried it and then cooked it in bbq sauce, I was sold. Normally I would make my own bbq sauce and not have used the one in the recipe, but I was being lazy so I used bottled... Actually, I was being extremely lazy because I had the bf do that while I dealt with the plantains. After he simmered the tempeh it puffed up alot so once the water was drained out it soaked up the bbq sauce very nicely. Served with a side of steamed green beans, this was definitely a dinner that will be made again. The bbq tempeh would be very good in a sandwich or sub roll too, which makes me think of cooking it the same way, but with buffalo sauce would be even better...

Luckily I scribbled down the recipe for the plantains at work while making my shopping list so here it is:

Chipotle Glazed Pantains

2 yellow plantains
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup mayonaise
1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, pureed (i used like 3, maybe more)
1 talespoon cayenne (I used about 2)
1 tablspoon sugar (i used agave nectar)
black pepper to taste.

1. Peel and wrap plantains in foil and grill until they start to carmelize and are softening but still firm. 
2. While the plantains are grilling, mix together all other ingredients in a small bowl, set aside. 
3. When plantains are done, remove from foil and cut into 1 in thick pieces, return to grill and brush on some of the chipotle mix. Grill a few minutes, flip, brush glaze on other size and continue cooking a few minutes more. 

I don't have propane for my grill, and my oven is broken, but my toaster oven does have a grill setting so I just used that. I didn't find that they came out too "glazy" so I broiled them for a few minutes on each side. Still a little more like a sauce, but still so delicious. This glaze/sauce would be an excellent veggie dip, sandwich spread, use it in place of ketchup for fries, anything really. I made extra and can't wait to make veggie burgers so I can slather it on.

Now that I'm done digesting, it's off to the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment